Monday, December 28, 2009

Roasted Beet Salad

They are tasty, kind of in season in Southern Ontario, and well I needed to make something in a pinch to go with the beef stew. This recipe from Bouchon is pretty easy. Simply roast the beats about an hour and a half until tender with some water, oil, salt, and pepper. When they are done, let them cool, take a paper towel, rub the skin off. I recommend a plastic cutting board, unless you like a nice purple stained maple cutting board. The beets are then quartered and sliced. The vinaigrette is oil, orange juice, and red wine vinegar. Let the flavours merry in the fridge, toss with herbs and serve.

I like the overall flavour, of this dish. If I were to do it again I might think about reducing the orange juice down a bit. I feel as though the vinaigrette complimented but was over shadowed by the beets. The reason for this could be the quality of oranges I used for the juice, the fact that I have a cold, or the time spent marinating. I have some left over so I will have to let you know if more of the flavour came through. I have learned to love beets, there colour and flavour are absolutely amazing. Once I learned that beets did not in fact grow in jars with brine, and could be utilized like any other root vegetable I feel in love. All in all a real hit with everyone, even the most devote beet haters. Two recipes down, out of... well I never really did count. Whats the next project? perhaps the trotters dish. Then back to work for a few days, and off for two weeks holidays. F'n eh.

0 comments:

Donate

Foodroll